Wednesday, June 24, 2009

An Open Letter to the Los Angeles City Council to Save My Dog, Stu.


When an issue is presented to Council for action, Council President refers the issue to the appropriate Committee for review and recommendation. The Public Safety Committee oversees the Department of Animals Services. I started there.

Click here for City Council Website Directory
Click here for Council Officers/Committee Assignments
Click here for the Council Calendar

June 23, 2009

City Council
Public Safety Committee
City of Los Angeles
c/o City Clerk, Room 395
City Hall, 200 North Spring Street
Los Angeles, CA 90012-4801

Dear Councilmembers Weiss, Zine, Parks, Smith and Reyes,

Below is a link to Kate Woodviolet's Examiner.com follow-up story on my dog, Stu, his 4-year-old case and the evidence of malfeasance and obstruction on the part of certain employees within the Department of Animal Services. Please be aware, that only 10 days prior to the oral arguments in the Court of Appeals, the City Attorney's office sent me the attached draft settlement offer (and opposed my request for a continuance in the Court so that I might discuss the offer further) with full knowledge that no consummation of this proposed settlement could be expected in time for the City Council to approve it, before the Court ruled.

These are not coincidences and let me assure you, there have been no coincidences in this case. Ever. This case is one of the last vestiges of the inept and embarrassing tenure of Ed Boks. The only thing left to clean-up (that I know of ) of the mess Mr. Boks made of this Department will be the lawsuit I must file against him and others for these despicable acts. We are about to welcome back to our City legal system what is promised to be a new era of integrity, so says Mr. Trutanich. I hereby give you an opportunity to usher that era in with my dog, Stu in tow.

I beseech you to consider compassionately what I hope will be a forthcoming recommendation from the Board of Animal Services Commissioners to your Public Safety Committee or to the full Council, which will , as I understand the intent of the Board, attempt to preserve the integrity of the Administrative Hearing process, the Department, the Board and the City of Los Angeles by setting aside the previous ill-founded decision to declare Stu to be dangerous and order his destruction. The Board, which you have entrusted to make these decisions is unified on this issue as are thousands of people from our City and around the world: the consensus is to send Stu, a non-dangerous animal home to live out his remaining last couple of years. He was 6 years old when he was first impounded. He is now at least 10 (or 70 in human years).

The Court of Appeals could not remedy this injustice as there was a defective record before them and only myself, a non-lawyer, presenting it to them. However, although the Court has failed to right this horrible injustice , because it was confined to the incomplete record of the case, your Committee and your Council are not so constrained. Please find the time and the attention which this most deserving matter requires.

http://www.examiner.com/x-1779-LA-Pet-Rescue-Examiner~y2009m6d23-Appeals-Court-rules-against-Stu--could-allow-Animal-Services-to-kill-senior-dog


Thank you,

Jeff de la Rosa
Council District 13

4 comments:

  1. This situation is heartbreaking. As an animal lover, with a dog for a constant companion (even now laying by my feet), I cannot believe that this has gone on for so long. It never should have happened at all.

    I have seen the evidence of (to be polite) questionable behavior on the part of officials. Some matters of malfeasance should be prosecuted as criminal behavior. I urge the incoming City Attorney to look into this.

    Stu ( perfectly friendly and non-dangerous dog) should be returned home immediately, where he can live out his last years in comfort and love, after being locked up and deprived of his best friend for four incredible years.

    Jeremy James Brent

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeff de la Rosa did nothing to deserve what he has been put through. He will now pay for the rest of his life for going to be with his dying mother. Stuart de la Rosa will pay with his life.

    Kristi Marcus

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am hoping that Stu is back home with you, where he belongs, soon. Saw the link to Stu's examiner story on Twitter and have been retweeting it frequently. I have also tweeted the kinship blog posting about Stu and signed the petition.

    On Monday afternoon I called the city attorney's office to voice my concern about Stu and to have my comments put on file with the others. They had been receiving many calls, some had left their names & addresses - some had not.

    I let it be known that I thought Stu should be sent home, that the case was a sham - Stu was rotting for 4 years for no good reason, & I mentioned that some Rapists & Murderers do less time than poor Stu who should have been sent home years ago! A conclusion any sane person should come to after learning the facts of the case.

    I will keep tweeting your updates and the examiner story link to my followers, also will encourage them to make phone calls and retweet everything to their following. Increased public awareness and media attention can only be helpful and may help you & Stu receive a favorable outcome.

    I am a big animal person & have 2 large dogs of my own, if I were to ever be in your situation -I would do the same for my dogs as you have done for Stu.

    Best of luck to you & Stu,
    Lisa Freeman
    Wisconsin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why are the Power brokers always, for the most part, made up of people who care little for the truth. No time for the truth? No time for this pet and his owners who love him and want him home with them..He must have some value if people want him. Don't you think? Or is this some sort of vendetta? I don't have all the facts but I have the ones I need. I have taken in numerous strays and at times been bit out of fear not viciousness. One of the best dogs I have at the moment cares little for any human but me and my Husband and we did not raise him but he knows that we did save him. He lost trust in certain humans. I wonder why. I seem to get that feeling at times. Hummmm. Please do what's right for Stu and those who love him.. Love is the answer! Does anyone there speak LOVE?

    ReplyDelete

Please make up a name other than "Anonymous" so we can keep track of who says what.No, we don't need your real name. How to do this? Below, select "Name/Url" and type in a name. That's it. You will still be "anonymous" but we'll know which "anonymous" you are. Thanks.

Share this blog...

Share |